In this clip we see Ben and Leck working by candlelight at night. Lighting is a basic aspect of life that has changed drastically over the course of Australia's history, reflecting advances in modern technology and science.
- As a class, ask students to think about lighting and how buildings and homes are lit today. Ask the students to think about sources of power and lighting in Ben's era. Ask students the following questions:
- How would it feel to walk around in a world without street lights?
- How would this affect the way you would live and work at night-time?
- Ask students to research the history of lighting, focusing on the following questions to guide them:
- What type of lights would you find in houses in Ben's era?
- How bright are candles compared to modern electrical lights?
- What different types of lighting have existed in Australia?
- When did lighting technology change?
- How might lighting change in the future?
- The following websites may be useful:
The Institute of Engineering and Technology, 'Domestic lighting', http://www.theiet.org/about/libarc/archives/exhibition/domestic/index.cfm
Edison Tech Centre, 'The History of Electric Lighting', http://edisontechcenter.org/Lighting.html
- Ask students to create a history timeline of lights and lighting in Australia. Students could find or draw images of different lamps and lights from a variety of historical eras, writing a description about how and when each lamp was used and the power source.
Alternatively, they may wish to use a Timeline Creator such as http://timerime.com. This website tool provides a template for students to create an online timeline, which allows for the inclusion of graphics and multimedia elements.
- Have students complete a 24-hour log of activities they might undertake in a typical day. Ask them to think about the following questions:
- How many of these activities are performed at night-time?
- How does the length of daylight in winter and summer affect these activities?
- What impact would the lack of electrical lighting have on the activities they could complete in a typical day?
Student Activity Sheet H.16.5 Lights