The 1980s saw a buoyant economy that allowed families to afford the latest trends and technological advancements, such as microwave ovens, colour televsions and VHS players. Fashion reflected the notion that women could work as equals to men, and their clothes reflected a more businesslike approach, with bold fabrics, large jewellery and shoulder pads.
- Discuss the following questions:
- What factors inspired the fashion trends of the 1980s?
- Where did these trends originate?
- Why did Australians want to follow these trends?
- Ask students to find images of fashion items from the 1980s. These images can include clothing, footwear or accessories. The images can form a 1980s mural for the classroom. Discuss the main elements of fashion for men and women in the 1980s.
- Ask students to create a fashion inspired by the 1980s. They should use the template provided and find colour and pattern swatches for the outfit.
- As a class, compile a list of the most popular clothing trends from the 1980s.