In this clip, Lily makes up a story about how the convicts were treated when they arrived in Australia. Her story, though false, highlights the terrible conditions for convicts who landed at Port Jackson.
- Ask students to research what life was like for convicts and then develop a fact sheet, answering the questions:
- Who were the convicts?
- Why were they transported?
- What type of crimes had they committed?
- Who were some notable people on the First Fleet?
- How were the convicts treated?
- Which Indigenous groups were encountered in the early years of the colony?
- What was the relationship like between Indigenous Australians and the new settlers?
Ask students to locate some personal stories of the time. They could use these insights to write a diary entry for a day in the life of a convict, soldier or administrator from the First Fleet.